Decision Day
This past week we looked at tutorials on Premier Pro and InDesign, two programs from Adobe Software. Premier pro is used for editing films and InDesign is used for creating magazine covers, book pages, etc. After having examined the programs alongside what we plan on using them for, opening sequences and magazine covers respectively, I have developed the preference of going with the former rather than the latter. My reasoning for this is that in terms of popularity, film has surpassed magazines. Film allows for more creativity in how I convey a theme and develop it’s understanding. With Premier Pro, the features used cater better to my personal needs and caprices.
With films becoming more popular, I find that I can gain more consumers through a film than a magazine. In an article I mentioned in the previous blog, Michael Scherer, a writer from the Columbia Journalism Review, citing Keith Blanchard, an editor from Maxim, described male viewership of magazines as bored and over-stimulated because of how busy they are and their short attention spans. This decline in interest in magazines is further explained as resulting in “painfully low” readership, “notoriously tight” budgets, and many journals “struggling to stay viable, let alone relevant,” as stated by Doctoral Student Joey Franklin of Texas Tech University. Because of the decline of interest and readership in magazines, I have decided that a film sequence would be more viable.
Creativity is what propels the human mind, it allows us to think to form new manners of making a statement. In film, we can use a number of means of creating a story and develop a strong understanding of a theme. Texas High School Librarian States that “If stories foster greater empathy, then telling stories may serve to deepen students’ understanding of others. Since stories create interconnectedness and community, they are a natural fit for a project-based approach.” Cherry later states in the article that “LEGO bricks, claymation, puppetry, …, all that matters is that it gets told.” The use of these creative methods in film helps form an attachment between the viewer and the character(s), helping to better understand the theme.
The Premier Pro Software, used for editing films, caters better to my needs as an individual wanting to produce a film. It is designed to where it is divided into sections that are each used to edit the film, those sections being the audio, the video, and effects. The objective of InDesign, on the other hand, is to produce and image, which Is not what I want to do as it does not assist me in what I would like to do.
Because of this, I will do a film sequence for my portfolio because films are becoming more popular, the allow for creativity in conveying a theme, and the software used caters to my strengths and my necessities.
Comments
Post a Comment