To Team or Not to Team
To Team or Not to Team
In
My Portfolio project I had indecision as to whether I should work in a
group or not. Sometimes in collaborative work that I participate in, I
sometimes have the notion that I am not contributing enough to the group
project. There is an explanation for this notion. Terry Pettijohn and
Shujaat Ahmed (2010) of Coastal Carolina University states that
this habit is called social loafing. They describe social loafing as “the
likelihood of individuals contributing less when working on a task as part of a
group than when working on a task alone... [it] generally increases
with group size and decreases with task importance, potential for
evaluation, uniqueness of individual contributions, and complexity of task.” The
possibility of loafing in a group is why I had a preference to work
independently.
After
some reconsideration, I decided to work in a team rather than
independently as I know some classmates and have a good friendship with
them. I figured that this could provide for healthy cooperation and improve our
knowledge of one another. to prove my reasoning for this statement, Eli
Becker of the Wiley brand team explains that in a collective
commitment, “the team needed to trust that what they were saying would be
respected and heard. They shared personal backgrounds to learn about
one another's perspectives and how they might relate to their
colleagues in ways beyond work period they spoke candidly on what makes them
comfortable and uncomfortable in a work environment. They discussed their teams
core values and their vision for themselves and the company. (2015)” I
applied this approach to working with my partner as we were honest with each
other and since we knew enough about each other, we discussed the proposal
for our magazine and how that vision could form into a magazine. Another
reasoning for my decision to worked in a team was that Pettijohn and
Ahmed (2010) provided a statistic convincing me to work in a pair.
The statistic reads that “Collectively, 78% of the top billboard
songs were written by individuals or pairs.” This statistic gave me the
notion that if I worked in a pair or independently, my product would
have a good chance of becoming successful. Because of the article that I cited
with Eli Becker, I had decided to work in a pair.
The
Coast Guard lost at sea activity also helped me make the decision to work in a
group as I had noticed on some of the rankings I had picked them
in different places from the Coast Guard and that made me think that before
deciding on certain subjects of the magazine, it would be good to have a
second opinion to help assist me in determining what would be ideal.
Comments
Post a Comment